Three legal documents your college student needs *Plus a bonus!

Now that your child is 18, you may encounter barriers helping them medically or financially, because they are now an adult according to the law. However, we know that young people need help and support when navigating complicated areas of adulthood.

The following documents can help you give your child the assistance they need in the next few years:

HIPAA Authorization- This document lets a patient (your college student) designate certain family members, friends and others who can be updated about their medical info during treatment.

Medical Power of Attorney- A Medical Power of Attorney is used to make healthcare-related decisions on a patient's behalf in the event that the patient (your college student) is unable to make those choices themselves.

Durable Power of Attorney- This document allows a college student to give authority to another person (like the parents) to make some financial/legal decisions.

Click here to learn more about the "College Care Package."

BONUS: Under the "Family Education rights and Privacy Act," a university usually can't disclose a student's education records to a third party without the student's consent if the student is over the age of 18. That can be waived if the student signs a "FERPA Authorization Form." Those forms can generally be found on the university's website or by contacting the registrar office of the university.


© 2023 by Knoll & Walters LLP. Proudly created with

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon